There is no denying that 2016 has been a blogging slump for me. I am just beginning to throw myself back into this head first because I realized how important this blog was to me. I've been thinking a lot about these specific things and how they impacted my slump:
- School - I'm a full time college student taking 18 credits, six classes, with research papers and projects. I also commute to school which takes at least an hour for me to get there. College is great and I love learning, but it is exhausting.
- Life - I have a new niece who is the cutest little peanut ever. I am a baby magnet. I love small children, they recognize me as one of them. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I babysit my other niece, who is three, and is giving me a run for my money.
- Not feeling into it - Sometimes I just feel like binge watching TV and not writing blog posts. Also, reading instead of blogging.
- Taking breaks - If I'm not feeling into blogging, I take a break. That is my attitude on dealing with things I'm not happy with or just not enjoying. Separation makes the heart grow fonder.
- Inspiration - I was really wanting to write in more of an entertainment journalism way, which is what inspired Nerd Lexicon.
- Ruts, the memes, the reviews, what else? - I like being creative and doing different things. Sometimes the same old blogging style really bothers me. I want my blog to be its own thing, which can be hard when there seems to be a form of how to book blog. I am definitely moving into more of a discussion style of posting in this comeback.
- Reading Slumps - I'm always reading. It's how I get through stress. But usually I read ten books a month and now I've just not been reading at the same speed. I haven't been finding the OMG love it books that I used to. I keep started books, reading up to 30%, and then putting them down.
- Not reading new releases - I've been reading a lot of backlist books or recent releases, but not new releases. Sometimes it feels like all the book blogging community cares about are new releases. My reading slumps have just led me to pick up random things and I want to talk about them but it seems like no one really cares about random backlist books.
- Falling out of love with the way the community works on twitter - I'm not into twitter chats as much as I used to be. Why is there one every day? Is this necessary? I am also not happy with the amount of drama that occurs on a daily basis. Let's be happy and talk about books...
- Needing more blogger friends - my blogging slump spurred a twitter slump. I need more bloggers to talk to.
This was a really random rant of what I think about blogging and the community. I am excited to write more posts like this.
What do you think about some of the things that I have mentioned? Have you dealt with blogging slumps? What do you do to get over them?