Welcome to Meet The Newbies, a co-hosted event from Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books and I, in which we introduce you to all of the new kids in school aka the 2015 debut authors.
Meet Francesca Zappia:
YA writer represented by Louise Fury of the Bent Agency. My debut, MADE YOU UP, will be out from Greenwillow/HarperCollins on May 19th, 2015. I like writing, reading, drawing, anime, playing way too much Pokemon, and other things.
I'm on Twitter @ChessieZappia, Tumblr, Instagram @ChessieZappia, and on my website, www.francescazappia.com
Meet her debut novel:
Title: Made You Up
Author: Francesca Zappia
Genre: YA Contemporary
Releases: May 19th, 2015 by Greenwillow Books
Reality, it turns out, is often not what you perceive it to be—sometimes, there really is someone out to get you. Made You Up tells the story of Alex, a high school senior unable to tell the difference between real life and delusion. This is a compelling and provoking literary debut that will appeal to fans of Wes Anderson, Silver Linings Playbook, and Liar. Alex fights a daily battle to figure out the difference between reality and delusion. Armed with a take-no-prisoners attitude, her camera, a Magic 8-Ball, and her only ally (her little sister), Alex wages a war against her schizophrenia, determined to stay sane long enough to get into college. She’s pretty optimistic about her chances until classes begin, and she runs into Miles. Didn't she imagine him? Before she knows it, Alex is making friends, going to parties, falling in love, and experiencing all the usual rites of passage for teenagers. But Alex is used to being crazy. She’s not prepared for normal. Funny, provoking, and ultimately moving, this debut novel featuring the quintessential unreliable narrator will have readers turning the pages and trying to figure out what is real and what is made up.
Francesca Zappia, thanks so much for participating in Meet The Newbies! Check out the fun ten random facts about her.
I want to start this post by saying how happy I am to be a 2015 debut. Made You Up was originally scheduled to come out in Fall of 2014, but was pushed back for various reasons. Now I’m surrounded by the other amazing 2015 debuts. I could spend this post talking about Made You Up, but I’ve already said a lot about it in other interviews, and blabbed about it all over Twitter and my blog, so instead I thought I’d give you information about myself that maybe people don’t know? (Warning: mild insults toward coffee/coffee lovers.)
Ten random facts about me:
1. I am watching The Silence of the Lambs as I write this. I really love The Silence of the Lambs--not for any weird reasons, just because I think it’s an awesome movie.
2. I don’t drink coffee. Actually, I don’t drink anything besides water, milk, and the occasional fruit juice. Coffee is weird and gross. Why do people like coffee so much?
3. Minesweeper is my favorite computer game. The fact that they don’t include it on new PCs is the greatest tragedy the world has ever known.
4. I’ve been writing stories since I was eight. I do write every day, but not always the same thing. Writing is the one thing I’ve always known I was supposed to be doing.
5. Lettuce is my favorite food. Not salad, just lettuce. Leaf lettuce, olive oil, lemon juice, salt. It’s super good. I can tell you don’t believe me.
6. Anyone who reads Made You Up might think I don’t like dogs, but actually I love dogs! I have a dog right now. His name is Gus. (Confession: I might love cats slightly more. Dogs are great, but they’re not cats.)
7. I draw pictures of my characters and stories and whatnot, but I wouldn’t say I like drawing. I pretty much never draw anything unless it’s for one of my books.
8. My favorite books are ones that make me laugh. I think people take books more seriously when books make them laugh.
9. As a child, I had a recurring nightmare about an evil clown a la Pennywise terrorizing my back yard. After about two years, I realized I could melt the clown with salad dressing. I…don’t know.
10. I didn’t really speak until I was three or four years old. I had the ability to speak, I just didn’t. Again, no explanation for this one. I was tested for autism, but never diagnosed with anything.
Francesca Zappia has kindly offered to giveaway a signed copy of Made You Up and some bookmarks. This open to the US Only.
Check out our kick-off post to win a bundle of debut ARCs.
Meet some of the other newbies! Check out their posts and giveaways:
- Melinda Salisbury
- Becky Wallace
- Jen Brooks
- Elaine Dimopoulos
- Jenny Martin
- Holly Bodger
- Gina Ciocca
- Maggie Lehrman
- Renee Ahdieh
- N.K Traver
- Kelly Loy Gilbert